About this Event
P.O. Box 119, Henryville, IN 47126
Public Input Needed for Draft Environmental Assessment at Clark State Forest Shooting Range Facilities in Clark County, Indiana
The Indiana Department of Natural Resources, in cooperation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, is seeking public comment on a draft Environmental Assessment regarding the Indiana DNR’s proposed Clark County shooting range. The draft EA evaluates several alternatives. Public comments will be accepted for a 30-day period, which ends 3/16/2021.
Indiana DNR will be applying for a grant from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to approve the construction of a new shooting range complex located within Clark State Forest in Clark County, Indiana. The proposed shooting range project will consist of the following:
• 38-lane rifle/pistol range (10-yd., 25-yd., 50-yd. lanes)
• Concrete baffles to minimize noise
• Construction of a range office, multi-purpose/ retail space, and range control with ADA-compliant restrooms.
• Five-stand sporting clays field with trap fields (16 yd.-27 yd.) optional configuration
• 10-station sporting clays course
• Accessible toilet to service shotgun facilities
• Seven position target archery
• ADA-compliant parking servicing each range facility as determined by site layout
• Includes pathways to and across all target lines and/or shooting stations (includes ADA bench-rests and any other necessary shooting apparatus).
• ADA-compliant restroom facilities, including septic system.
The purpose of the project is to develop a modern and safe shooting range complex that meets all ADA, environmental, and building code requirements. The ranges will provide hunters with the opportunity to increase firearm proficiency and safety, and allow recreational shooters to practice their sport in a safe and accommodating environment.
The purpose of this EA document is to look at the feasibility and potential for environmental consequences associated with the alternatives considered. The EA was prepared in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) that applies to the actions of all federal agencies. This project is proposed by the Indiana DNR for funding through the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act, administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
The draft EA is available at https:/www.in.gov/dnr/calendar/files/fishwild/fw-Clark_SF_Gun_Range_Draft_EA.pdf.
Additional files are below.
Additionally, copies may be obtained from Julia Geschke, Indiana DNR, 317-233-9245. Written comments should be sent to Ms. Geschke at 402 W. Washington St. Rm W273, Indianapolis, IN 46204 or via email JGeschke@dnr.IN.gov. Comments should be received no later than March 16, 2021, 5 p.m. EST.